Journey of a Document
Archives NZ, 2020
An upbeat instrumental song plays continuously throughout the video
Digitising our history
The Journey of a Document
1. Ordering. Order the item from Archway our digital online catalogue. Then you have to go down to the repository "the stacks"...and you need pretty good directions.
2. Retrieving. Here you can retrieve the document.
3. Preparing the document. Remove staples, clean rust, smooth creases, tidy up (fabulous nails not essential).
5. Tidying up the scan.
6. Enhancing the listing. Occasionally updates will be added to the data on the listing.
7. Quality Check #1. Check how the digital copy looks on screen next to the actual document.
8. Ingesting. Item is uploaded into the Government Digital Archive (GDA).
9. Quality Check #2. Check record on Archway online. Click on link to make sure it looks good and all information is correct. Yes, there she is. Good as gold. And able to be viewed online by the public.
10. Reshelving. Now it's time to repack the item and return it to the stacks.
Archives NZ have digitised 579, 918 documents increasing the amount of people who can see these documents, across Aotearoa and the world.
Find out more archives.govt.nz.
- Re-use information