Visiting our Reading Rooms
The Archives New Zealand reading rooms allow researchers to view original records which have been created by the New Zealand Government and deposited with Archives New Zealand.
If you wish to view records in person Archives New Zealand operates four reading rooms in Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch and Dunedin.
To prepare for your visit to an Archives New Zealand reading room please see the Archives New Zealand forms and information sheets. These forms and guidelines will help you understand the processes and procedures in the Archives New Zealand reading rooms.
We can also advise you on doing your own research at Archives New Zealand, whether you are visiting a reading room or researching from home.
Each Archives New Zealand office has disabled parking available on-site. Please contact our offices before you visit to ensure a disabled park is reserved for you.
- Auckland. The Auckland office has 10 free carparks and three disabled persons carparks available.
- Wellington. Archives New Zealand’s Wellington office does not offer general on-site parking. Disabled parking is available on request.
- Christchurch. The Christchurch office has six free carparks and one disabled carpark. Free parking is also available on Harvard Avenue.
- Dunedin. The Dunedin office has six free carparks and one disabled persons carpark. All are sign-posted at the street vehicle entrance.
- Auckland. Take the 380 Airporter Bus. From Auckland Airport get off at stop 2041 opposite Park 'N Fly, Airpark Drive. From Onehunga Train Station get off at stop 2052 outside Park 'N Fly, Airpark Drive.
- Wellington. The Wellington office is within walking distance from the train station and central bus exchange. From either of these locations head up Mulgrave Street past the Thistle Inn.
- Christchurch. Take the 80 or Yellow Line bus from the central bus exchange. These busses travel down Main South Road or Springs Road. Get off when you see the aircraft on a pole, then walk for 100m down Harvard Avenue. If you get off at the bus stop on Springs Road, make your way down Henry Wigram Drive until you get to Harvard Avenue.
- Dunedin. To take the bus, get the Normanby, Opoho or Pine Hill routes and get off at Albany Street stop. One minute walk north.
Reader card required
Please remember to always have your reader card with you when visiting Archives New Zealand. Before viewing any record in one of our reading rooms you must first present your card at the issues and returns desk.
If you have lost your card or do not yet have a card, please bring photo ID to the relevant reading room and a new one can be provided.