Requesting Access to Restricted Records
Instructions for applicants:
- Check the access conditions relating to the records for specific requirements
- Send a letter to the controlling agency’s access contact outlining the reason(s) for your request
- In your request state if copies of the items will be required and whether you wish to publish from the records
- Enclose a complete record(s) listing with your request. The list must contain the records description (full file title and date range) and the correct archives reference
- Include in your request: your full name, postal address, telephone number and email address
- Anyone wishing to view restricted records must be listed in the application
- Access to restricted records will only be approved upon presentation of the original permission letter issued by the controlling agency.
Please note the original letter from the agency granting access to the records must be presented when items are requested from Archives New Zealand.