Terms and Conditions
We will use reasonable endeavours to complete work on your behalf with all due care and skill and as soon as reasonably practicable, however we are not liable for any loss or costs you might suffer because of any delay or non-performance on our part.
- Fees must be paid in advance of any work being undertaken.
- Fees must be paid regardless of the success or otherwise of the search/research.
- All charges are GST inclusive for New Zealand residents. If you are not a New Zealand resident, then all fees are, unless otherwise stated, in New Zealand dollars and do not include GST.
- Please do not send cash in the mail.
- Cheques or bank drafts must be in New Zealand dollars and made payable to Archives New Zealand.
- Credit card payments must be made by an approved credit card. Credit card details are not kept by Archives New Zealand after the charge has been processed. Subsequent charges will require resubmission of credit card details.
- We reserve the right to change the fees charged for any of our services at any time. If we introduce a new service, the fees for that service are effective at the launch of the service, unless otherwise stated.
Archives New Zealand will provide a refund to remote reference clients in the following circumstances:
- Archives New Zealand will refund a fee that has been paid if it is clear when the enquiry is received (prior to carrying out any research) that we will not be able to provide the record/information that has been requested.
- Archives New Zealand may also refund, at Archives New Zealand’s discretion, a fee, where a client has received an inadequate level of service. Decisions under this criteria will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Archives New Zealand will provide a refund if a client pays for a search relating to an archive that is listed at item level on Archway (and is not listed as missing on Archway) and it eventuates that the item cannot be located.
- Archives New Zealand will refund part of a research fee if a client has overpaid for a particular kind of search.
Copyright and Public Records Act Restrictions
By submitting a request with Archives New Zealand you acknowledge that you understand the following:
“No reproduction of the material provided is permitted without the permission of the Chief Archivist under Section 48 of the Public Records Act 2005. A separate permission to publish under Section 48 of the Public Records Act 2005 must be obtained in order to publish from or distribute copies of material from Archives New Zealand’s holdings. The material provided to you may be subject to copyright, and it is your responsibility to ensure that your use of the material is allowed under the Copyright Act 1994”.
Standard of Reproductions
The standard of a reproduction will relate to the condition of the original archival document. For example, where the original is a faint copy on thin or discoloured paper, this will be reflected in the reproduction. We do not guarantee the legibility of any reproduction provided. Please be assured that we will make the best reproductions reasonably possible.
For conservation reasons it may not be possible to reproduce certain records because of their condition or make-up (e.g. bound items and items larger than A3 are not photocopied). We do offer a digital copying service which can be used for copying bound items and items larger than A3. Please contact the relevant office for information and charges.
Privacy Act 1993
Archives New Zealand respects your privacy and endeavours to comply with the Privacy Act 1993. If you send us personal information (for example, your email address when asking a research question), we will only use this personal information for the purpose for which it was provided or for a purpose required or permitted by the Privacy Act 1993 or otherwise required or permitted by law.
We will keep any personal information you provide to us secure and will not disclose it to any other parties without your prior consent or as required or permitted by the Privacy Act 1993 or otherwise required or permitted by law.
To access or correct any of your personal information that we hold, or if you have any concerns about personal information that we hold, please contact the relevant Archives New Zealand Office if you have any concerns.
Security and damage
You are responsible for any damage you cause to this website or to any of our websites, electronic facilities or data.
We provide security to protect this website and online services. You are responsible for ensuring that your own computer is secure, including taking all reasonable steps to:
- prevent someone misusing or getting unauthorised access to your computer system or to this website or our online services, and
- ensure your computer system and data are free of computer viruses and all other forms of corruption.
We make no warranty, express or implied, nor assume any legal liability or responsibility:
- that the website or our server are free of computer viruses or any other harmful components, defects or errors
- that any defects in the website will be corrected
- that your access to the website will be reliable, uninterrupted or error-free (including access to any linked websites)