National Radiation Laboratory - Nuclear Reactors - NZ Siting Subcommittee 1969-1975: Draft Terms of Reference for Working Group on Siting Criteria.
CH 56, 23/16/1
National Radiation Laboratory - Nuclear Reactors - NZ Siting Subcommittee 1969-1975: Map of Auckland with Site Options 1-18.
CH 56, 23/16/1
National Radiation Laboratory - Nuclear Reactors - Antarctic Reactors 1961-1966: Operation Deep Freeze correspondence.
CH 56, 23/20/1
The Radiation Laboratory was established by the British Empire Cancer Campaign Society in 1933. In 1951 was taken over by the Department of Health and changed its name to National Radiation Laboratory in 1963.
Its functions were to control the manufacture, use, importation, transport and disposal of radioactive materials and the sale and use of irradiating apparatus; maintain the national primary radiation exposure standards and calibrate clinical and other radiation measuring instruments; maintain advisory and personal monitoring services for persons occupationally or otherwise exposed to radiation; provide an advisory service on the use of non-ionising radiations; and monitor the environment for the presence of radioactivity.
Two of these archives document the Laboratory's provision of advice on the siting of nuclear reactors in New Zealand.
The third document comes from the Laboratory's responsibility for monitoring and controlling the transport of radioactive substances. In the this case the substances are the fuel rods for the nuclear core of the United States reactor at McMurdo Sound, PM-3A, known as "Nukey Poo". Both new and spent fuel rods passed through New Zealand ports, usually Lyttelton, as did the one hundred barrels of radioactive soil and 8,000 cubic metres of contaminated rock collected as part of the decontamination programme implemented after the reactor was decommissioned in 1972. These were shipped back to California via New Zealand for disposal.